Adoption Journey

0
This little stinker is turning 1 today! To be honest, she's not too concerned haha (she's currently sleeping on the carpet beside my chair) I thought I would share our pet adoption journey with you in honour of her birthday :)

Our pet adoption story didn't start with the little kitten above. Seven years ago, we adopted our first cat. We'd had hamsters for years, but they weren't very exciting and my brother & I loved hearing stories of the cats my parent's had before they had us. So, off to the SPCA we went. My mom wanted an older (read: cheaper) cat, and it took a few visits before we found her. She was tortoise shell (my mom had a tortoise shell years before), already declawed (previous owners must have done it), and she was 6 years old (any cat over age 5 was cheaper). We'd found our cat :)

:)
Now, we did try to give her a proper name, but there was one that stuck. It will astound you. Ready? Kitty. It wasn't like we chose the name when we were really young (my friend has that to thank for a cat named Mitten), no. I was 15 and my brother was 13. But Kitty it was.

Last summer we could tell she wasn't quite herself at times, and at the beginning of September we found out she was full of fluid (cat leukemia I think they said?) and was really suffering. The vet said there wasn't much they could do, so we chose to put her down. 

Me and my brother lasted about two weeks before we were checking out the local SPCA website. We were unanimous in our choice - a little grey kitten called Blue.

The SPCA picture. Look at that face!! And her tiny stumpy legs!!
We went into the local SPCA to see her and fell in love. How could you resist that face?? They had named all of her siblings with 'bear' names: Paddington, Berenstein, Goldilocks, Snow and Blue. I guess someone had thought of 'Bear in the Big Blue House', although the house is blue, not the bear. Even with a silly name, she stole our hearts and we filled out the application and claimed her as ours :) 

Ever tried to pick a pet's name with several people involved? Not so easy. It took us several days, many debates, but we finally ended up with a pretty perfect name: Winnie :)

First day home! Check out the size of her tail here vs 4 pictures down!
We brought her home a few weeks later and ohmyword. I'd never had a kitten before - my only experience was with hamsters & an older cat. And I mean, I guess I thought I had some idea of what to expect, but I definitely wasn't expecting this little 2 pound terror haha Nothing was off limits for this tiny kitten. Her first nap was on a book, on the bookshelf, 5 feet off the ground.  I'm pretty sure she found every single dust bunny imaginable within the first few hours of being here. 









Winnie has grown so much in the 10-ish months that we've had her and is now the proud owner of the fluffiest tale I have ever seen. She naps for most of the day, but can still run around the house like a crazy thing haha She loves spinach and green things. Attacking our feet is her favourite game, especially if they're under a blanket. If you're doing something, she is right there doing it with you (especially if you have papers lying around). She is adorable & fluffy and gives the best cuddles and I love her to bits!


She was our little rescue kitten that has grown into a big fluffy cat and I am so glad to call her our Winnie :)

xo,
B